Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Beyond FAITH: Election Day Emotions

For me, faith has a lot to do with elections. Faith that the best person will win, faith that the person elected will stand up for what he/she believes and will follow up on the many promises made over the last two tumultuous years of campaigning. I’ve held onto an instinctive faith that Barack Obama would be the Democratic nominee for president in the 2008 election since he arrived on the national stage during the 2004 election. Call that blind faith, but it’s what I felt, and when it became possible he might not win the nomination earlier this year, I was surprised and a little worried, but I kept praying. Maybe that helped, I don’t know, but luckily things turned around and today votes are being cast for a typical Republican candidate and a blessedly non-traditional, intellectual, visionary Democratic candidate. Today, history is being made.

I just spent some time scanning through photos from this morning of the Obama family heading to the polls in their Chicago neighborhood. As usual Senator Obama wore a suit, but Michelle and the girls arrived with him in casual clothes, their hair pulled back or braided, reminding us how down-to-earth this small, historic family remains in the face of one media circus after another. I’m struck by this fact every time they appear together. Today I noticed Malia’s eyes as she listened to her dad at the polling booth; Michelle’s bent head as she cast her vote not only for the presidency but for statewide and local initiatives she knows will impact so many lives; Sasha’s tendency to lean against someone close because little ones get tired sometimes, especially with all that standing around while the world watches. Something about this family and this election makes me very emotional, but I’ve been so busy with projects like the Imagine A Great Election site that only this morning did the emotions finally take over. I voted last week, and was very matter of fact about it. Pleased and relieved after waiting so long, but not emotional at all. Today, however, is another story. And tonight I may just be a mess. But I’ll have my family around me and I’ll hold onto my faith that the best person will win this election, though I’ll be saying lots of prayers as I attempt to help that outcome along. Faith truly can make a difference. Just look at who’s running for president.

FYI, if you’re tracking electoral votes and curious about projections and past election results, visit ImagineAGreatElection.com for a nifty Electoral Vote Tracker, reviews of projections past and present, and a quick run-through of the Electoral College Process.

12 Comments:

Blogger debra said...

We are truly blessed to live in this time in this place. I ran into a couple of neighbors at the polls. The woman was there with her autistic brother, who told me that he is lucky to be autistic: he does not experience racial or ethnic differences; he hears what the candidates are saying and reads their records and decides with an open mind.
We can all learn from him, I think.

My husband waited for an hour to vote at 6:30AM---people had been in line since 5:45AM. I waited an hour at 10:00AM. Our daughter voted in her first presidential election via absentee ballot. The energy is palpable.
whatever happens, we have already changed. YES WE CAN.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Sustenance Scout said...

Fascinating comments by the lady at the polls, Debra. This is an amazing day, isn't it?!

3:56 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Don't tell anyone else, but we've started drinking champagne...shhh!

7:12 PM  
Blogger Sustenance Scout said...

LOL, Lisa! I won't tell, promise! I may stop by, though...! K.

8:06 PM  
Blogger debra said...

YES WE DID! A day of celebration.
Our #2 daughter called from NYC last night--absolutely ecstatic. She said there were parties everywhere and she was thrilled to be part of it. This was her first Presidential election.

5:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember when Bill Clinton was called the "first black president?"

Of faith I have little, of hope, a bunch.

6:20 AM  
Blogger Sustenance Scout said...

Debra, another great story and one of so many from all over the country. Yesterday was a day I'll never forget. Sounds like your daughter in NYC will never forget it, either!

7:59 AM  
Blogger Sustenance Scout said...

Good to hear, Gerry! I think it's safe to say many of us are feeling very hopeful today. K.

8:01 AM  
Blogger Carleen Brice said...

Happy Day, Karen!!!

7:00 PM  
Blogger Sustenance Scout said...

You know it, Carleen!

8:55 PM  
Blogger Mary Ann said...

I love reading this posting after the results are known. I think I'd been holding my breath for two years.

And I was just out on your Imagine Web site and was ecstatic to learn that Missouri's votes are inching closer to being for Obama, as they count remaining votes. I so want to live in a state that feels like home.

5:04 AM  
Blogger Sustenance Scout said...

So nice to see your smiling face, Mary Ann! And I know what you mean; Colorado has been a red state for decades and we live in a very red part of Denver metro. It was refreshing to see some Obama signs in at least a few front yards around here. Go MO! :) K.

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home