Thursday, May 01, 2008

Beyond FINDING A WAY: It’s the Little Things

I’m having a rollercoaster week. The husband’s out of town, which I usually handle okay unless I try to get way too much done without him around to say “Relax and have a glass of wine, sit down and watch something funny on TV with me,” that sort of sweet thing. Good for my soul but not for my to-do list, and I have to admit I love getting things done. To an unhealthy degree sometimes, and this week is a case in point. Last week was my birthday and it was easy-going and fun. One of my sisters sent me a very sweet card that arrived on Saturday, the same day I received a rejection letter from an unimpressed agent of my dreams who’d been intrigued by my query but not so crazy about the partial of One Sister’s Song she’d recently read. In blatant rebellion on Monday and Tuesday I wrote 2,000 words each day to start a new novel. Not the first novel (One Sister’s Song) I’ve been trying to sell to a bigger publisher for over a year (with my original publisher’s blessing; thanks Sherry!); not the second novel (Under the Humming Tide) that’s been sitting, complete but unworkshopped, in a proverbial drawer for TWO years; not the collection of short stories (The Average Weight of the Female Heart) I’m halfway through. A third novel. Which I hope to finish within record time for me, maybe even a few months. We’ll see! Another reaction to my latest rejection letter (you know it’s bad news when they actually use that damn SASE!): I told someone yesterday I’m just going to write as much as possible and it can all be published after I’m dead for all I care. Some days that really does seem like a good way to go (literally!).

And in the midst of all this, I get:

1) a hilarious quirky tag from Carleen (see if you can read her quirks without cracking up);

2) a kind, encouraging note from Rebecca Burgess on my last post; and

3) a surprise review from Lisa Kenney, who recently read One Sister’s Song (which is still in print with my original publisher; thanks Sherry!) and apparently really enjoyed it. Either that, or she’s just being nice because I know where she lives. Either way, I’ll take it! Woohoo!

It’s friends like these who remind me that even when it’s cold and gray and snowing (!!) on May 1st here in the south suburbs of Denver, much sunnier days lie ahead.

And now for a brief glance at quirky me for Carleen’s meme:

1) I know all the words to the song “Misty”;

2) I’m a compulsive picker-upper (who would probably drive Carleen and Lisa’s Scott crazy; my husband swears the second he puts down anything in our house I’m there to snatch it and file it away);

3) I have a bizarre memory for things I saw or heard even in early childhood;

4) I’m blind as a bat (i.e., extremely nearsighted) but have acute hearing;

5) my ears hurt when I’m tired or stressed; and

6) I can wiggle both my ears.

I just realized half of my quirks involve my ears. Hmmmm!

As for tags for this unique meme (please see Carleen’s post for the official rules, ladies): Lisa, Rebecca, Larramie, Judy, Patti, and Kristen.

And one last quirk: I talk to myself. A lot. Which is probably why I love to blog so much! Thanks—as always—for listening.

16 Comments:

Blogger Daisy said...

I like the nearsighted but eagle-eared one! I am nearsighted and also hearing impaired. If I had the $$, I'd go for Lasik, just to have that sense intact without glasses/ contacts.

2:24 PM  
Blogger Carleen Brice said...

That's wild that your ears hurt when you're tired!

Glad I could add a little sunshine to the dreariness. Good for you for reacting to your rejection letter by writing more! That'll show 'em!! :)

2:40 PM  
Blogger Niksmom said...

Whew! I'm tired after reading about your writing! And your quirks are endearing. Okay, except the picker-upper one...THAT would make me crazy! I'm the original pile-in-files queen! ;-)

4:13 PM  
Blogger Sustenance Scout said...

I hear ya, Daisy, though I've been told I'm so nearsighted surgery will just mess up my ability to read without reading glasses. No fun! So I'm sticking with the contacts!

9:37 PM  
Blogger Sustenance Scout said...

At least it'll keep me from eating my way through the misery, Carleen! And yes you spread sunshine wherever you go!

9:41 PM  
Blogger Sustenance Scout said...

I've had my spats of piles of files, Niksmom, but that drives me bananas and I'm always so relieved to go through it all (and toss half of it!). K.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I'm sorry you had a discouraging week and I can tell you, the rejection is not because you didn't write a wonderful book! If I were to make a guess as to why the big houses haven't been more receptive so far, it would probably be that they may have a hard time categorizing it -- and I mean that as a compliment. I definitely want to get together and talk about the book soon and I owe you a much more comprehensive review than the meager paragraph I was able to muster in my monthly reads post.

I have never understood how people can wiggle their ears! It is a skill I don't have and therefore can't comprehend. I'll have to think about my quirks for a day or two since I naturally don't think I have any (ha!).

11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tag! I'm a picker-upper, too. I hate clutter, but for reasons I will never fully understand, I surround myself with people who make clutter.

4:56 AM  
Blogger Mary Ann said...

"The Average Weight of the Female Heart" is an amazing title. How'd you think of that??

6:23 AM  
Blogger Larramie said...

Aem, Karen, you forgot to tag me on my blog so technically...but, of course, I'll still play. ;)

6:59 PM  
Blogger Sustenance Scout said...

Thanks Larramie! And sorry for the failed tag...I just went back to the comment I thought I left and realized the Blogger gatekeepers had refused it entry. Woops! Can't wait to read about your quirks! K.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Jen P said...

Misty is one of my fave songs...esp the line "and a thousand violins begin to play." I sang alto in a show choir and the harmony was gorgeous. Made me love it even more.
BTW, I can wiggle my nose. Freaks The Younger out! I also have to say things outloud esp on those word verifications! it must be an auditory processing thing.

Happy belated birthday!

6:28 AM  
Blogger Sustenance Scout said...

Too funny, Jen! I'm also an alto and loved singing in an a capella group in high school. I'd forgotten all about that...may be something I return to in the future, who knows! My daughter has a beautiful voice; what a treat to hear her sing around the house. I'm sure your boys love to hear you sing, too! K.

6:45 AM  
Blogger Barrie said...

Sorry about the rejection. Those are not fun. But congrats on the great surprise review!

11:59 PM  
Blogger Sustenance Scout said...

Thanks, Barrie! I'm pretty good about moving on after rejections and since receiving that note have also received terrific advice about that particular project. Onward! :)

12:47 PM  
Blogger Sustenance Scout said...

Lisa, Kristen, and Mary Ann, for some reason I never replied to your comments. Suffice to say I've enjoyed reading all your quirks, too! And Mary Ann, that title came from a little book about anatomy that my nine-year-old was reading. She read that line aloud and I just stared at her, fully aware but a little in shock that I'd just been handed a terrific title. K.

8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home