Sunday, March 16, 2008

Beyond FAMILY: Robert Rummel-Hudson and His Daughter, Schuyler

Wowwee-wow-wow, as early-reader star Junie B. Jones would say. Through the serendipitous world of blogging and books and the web I just discovered author and blogger Robert Rummel-Hudson, otherwise known as Rob, otherwise known as the dad of Schuyler (pronounced Skyler). While I’d love to wax poetic over everything I’ve learned after an hour of lurking on Rob’s blog Fighting Monsters with Rubber Swords and on-line journal Darn-Tootin, I’m going to leave it to interested readers to enjoy that discovery on their own. A good place to start: the recent Dallas Morning News article highlighted in this Fighting Monsters post.

Suffice to say Rob’s a VERY funny guy who’s struggled with his wife Julie to help now eight-year-old Schuyler cope and overcome and flourish despite the rare brain disorder that prevents her from being able to talk, her personal monster bilateral perisylvian polymicrogyria. Rob’s new book, Schuyler’s Monster: A Father’s Journey with His Wordless Daughter (which he calls “a love letter to my daughter”) will be reviewed here before long. Suddenly I’m certain a trip to a favorite Denver bookstore is in order this week. Nice to meet you, Rob!!

Irresistible photo of baby Schuyler in New Haven (© Robert Rummel-Hudson) shamelessly lifted from Rob’s archives

6 Comments:

Blogger Niksmom said...

Karen, RUN don't walk to the bookstore today! I've been a reader of Rob's blog for a while and positively devoured the book in 24 hours. You will be more than a little amazed and a lot MORE in awe of Schuyler and her family.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Sustenance Scout said...

Can't wait, Niksmom!! Thanks! K.

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karen, I've been wanting to read this book too. I can't wait to hear what you think of it. I have a feeling it is going to wind up on my TBR pile very soon...

6:28 PM  
Blogger Sustenance Scout said...

I know what you mean, Kristen...! I'll be sure to let you know but I'm fairly certain I'm going to love this book...and get hooked on Rob's blog. He's such a fun writer to read and his views on parenting are priceless, especially considering the unique relationship he and Schuyler share. K.

8:42 PM  
Blogger Drama Mama said...

I love that blog! Love yours, too!
XO

9:20 PM  
Blogger Sustenance Scout said...

Right back at ya, DM! Your current post on (and photos from) Miss M's birthday are just priceless. Also loved your tribute to Miss Roxie. What lucky girls you have! K.

8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home