Saturday, December 15, 2007

Beyond FIRST LINES: A Blog Meme

Madame Brice over at Pajama Gardener tagged me a few days ago for this nifty meme. Following are the first lines of the first posts of each month for 2007. My lesson after collecting these: I’m a stodgy reporter at heart:

January: My girls are fascinated with the story of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. They’re convinced that if Dr. King had never been born, their lives would be very different. (OK I cheated, but I love that second line.)

February: Black History Month is upon us and I can’t help but feel discouraged, and not just because we celebrate famous African Americans during the shortest month of the year and pretend that’s enough. (An annual gripe.)

March: Thanks again to Matt at Empathy for his March 5 post, “A Promise,” and for this terrific photo. (I steal post ideas from Matt all the time! He’s such a sweetheart.)

April: Lulu.com has just released the print version of From Hollywood Experts and Published Authors: Words of Wisdom for Starving Artists, a collection that includes two of my essays. (Blatant self-promotion; so sue me.)

May: This post and its title were suggested by BlogCatalog, a blog directory that’s spreading the word about a very worthy cause, DonorsChoose. (Love that site, too.)

June: No posts (Three kids and no school! Woohoo!)

July: The not-so-lazy days of summer have taken over, an extension of the crazy-busy days of late spring. (More like manic.)

August: I’ve been reading like a maniac (see?) this summer, storing up ideas and images and concepts I’ll explore once the kids head back to school and I have longer stretches of free time. (Yeah, right!)

September: I’ve tried to keep my list of links at right limited to resources that celebrate diversity or promote tolerance or otherwise offer helpful insights to BEYOND Understanding visitors. (Yawn!)

October: Carleen Brice over at Pajama Gardener has posted an interview with Kim Reid, a fellow Denver writer and author of the newly released No Place Safe. (Carleen and Kim: two terrific local authors I met this year. Now THAT’s worth noting.)

November: My first trip to Hawaii was indeed a fantastic get-away with my husband, and it was followed this past weekend with a trip to Chicago to see my youngest sister, Kristen, and her family. (Again, yawn. You have to admit the photos of my nephew were cute beyond belief, though. Not that I’m biased or anything. That’s him in the sporty Santa suit, btw.)

December: My daughter Lauren and I spent this past Thursday evening holiday shopping at a Global Girlfriend Open House near our home south of Denver. (Another cute photo saves the day!)

Here’s to much more entertaining leads as 2008 unfolds. And more cute photos. And more posts. And more writing time that’s got nothing to do with blogging. And a cleaner more organized house, more balanced healthy meals for my family, more baking, more gardening, more field trips with the kids, more…. You get what I mean!

12 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

I love seeing these on different blogs because they're a living journal that helps me to remember when I discovered my blog friends. I'll be posting mine within the next day or two. It was a great year K!

9:53 AM  
Blogger Jen P said...

That is a neat one! I've only been blogging since July and it is pretty much been the same thing! Ha! I might give it a go anyways.

12:46 PM  
Blogger Sherry said...

This an excellent meme, isn't it? Yours keeps you true to yourself and your goals... and for that I'm bestowing the Be the Blog award on you...it's on my blog now and I will post it so you can see it and put it on your sidebar.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Sustenance Scout said...

It really has been a great year on the blogging front, Lisa! Here's to a terrific 2008!

Jen, you're my official first tag on this meme, then. Have at it!

Sherry, I've said it before but you are just so great for my ego, LOL! THANKS so much for the Be the Blog award; how nifty is that! K.

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My latest blog posting had you in mind with a number of other women.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Sustenance Scout said...

I'm honored, Gerry! That post and song are truly memorable. If it's true virtues can only be claimed after they've been tested, then I can't claim to have the strength exhibited by women like Patry and Sherry and other bloggers who've survived cancer, or so many mothers of children with special needs. I'm an honored witness, though, who prays that when the time comes my own strengths won't fail me! Thanks to so many friends and family members who've shown the way, I think I'll be okay. K.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Sherry said...

Karen, your last comment? It's "others" who are witness and who "get it" that make the difference. Those of us who have walked the line with any challenge or difficulty in life will speak what our truth is in the hope that others can "hear" the message as well...it's what we hope to achieve from the challenge. You are a shining example of someone who has been doing that and sharing your understanding with others. In a very pay-it-forward kind of way.

5:48 AM  
Blogger Marla said...

Interesting tag!

7:15 AM  
Blogger Sustenance Scout said...

Glad you enjoyed it, Marla! Feel free to give it a go as my second tagee! K.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Sustenance Scout said...

Sherry, have I mentioned how welcome you are to visit any time you're in Denver? :) Thanks once again for your kind words of encouragement. They mean so much to me! K.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Carleen Brice said...

Here's to all that and more!

9:22 AM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Such fascinating things in this blog! Congrats on your part in that new book! xo

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home