Friday, November 09, 2007

Beyond FOOD FOR THOUGHT: From Gabriel García Márquez’s LOVE IN THE TIME OF CHOLERA

“She made a long and detailed tour with no planned itinerary, stopping with no other motive than her unhurried delight in the spirit of things. She entered every doorway where there was something for sale, and everywhere she found something that increased her desire to live. She relished the aroma of vetiver in the cloth in the great chests, she wrapped herself in embossed silks…. In the spice shop she crushed leaves of sage and oregano in the palms of her hands for the pure pleasure of smelling them….”

As I read I jot down lines I love—usually in journals but that’s not always the convenient option. Rather than continue to scatter these gems and hide/lose them forever, I thought I’d start “jotting” them down here for others to read…and me to better remember. Some I like because they capture a fleeting truth; others, like this one, reveal why certain writers continue to amaze with their specific, deliberate manipulations of the written word. I crave such patience and deliberation…as a writer, as a parent, as a person.

p.s. “Vetiver” is a grass from India with aromatic roots; its oil is used in perfumes. And yes, I just looked that up!

7 Comments:

Blogger Sherry said...

I loved this book!!
I'm like you, always writing down things that move me...have them in several journals. Great idea to do it here!

1:06 PM  
Blogger Sustenance Scout said...

I'm halfway through with this book and loving every minute of it, Sherry! I'll be seeing the movie later this month with my neighborhood book club. We're not usually Oprah book clubbers, but this was a great pick. K.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Sherry said...

Enjoy the film version...I'll be interested to know what you think..book or film. I have a hard tme with "film" after I've loved a book.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Sustenance Scout said...

I know what you mean, Sherry! I'll be sure to let you know. K.

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey! i just joined a book club and we are reading this beautiful book!

12:20 PM  
Blogger Sustenance Scout said...

It's amazing, isn't it Kyra??

12:27 PM  
Blogger Marla said...

I am reading this book right now. Not as fast as I would like to. I can't wait to see the movie.

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home