Friday, November 23, 2007

Beyond FINAL: The Many Faces of Parenting Well

Finally, Literary Mama’s e-mail announcing its current issue featured this terrific, memorable quote from Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis: “If you bungle raising your children, I don’t think whatever else you do well matters very much.” This reminds me not only of John Elder Robison’s sweet stories of the Sunday adventures he’d take his son on, but of some wonderful feedback from one of the literary mamas at The Writers’ Group, who recently noted in response to one of my comments, “I think it’s safe to say for each of us that in terms of balance, our families come first and then the writing…but because we need to write, we find a way.” Amen.

7 Comments:

Blogger Lynne Griffin and Amy MacKinnon said...

Thanks for the nod. And I'd forgotten all about Jackie-o's quote, but it's true, isn't it? I hope your nephew is doing well. He's in my thoughts.

Amy MacKinnon

6:09 AM  
Blogger Sustenance Scout said...

Stitches came out on Thanksgiving and Ryan's starting to get up and walk a little, Amy! Thanks for asking....and for your always thoughtful insights on balancing writing and life. K.

7:40 AM  
Blogger Marla said...

Very true. If I don't write and have a creative outlet I am not the happy momma I want to be.

8:02 AM  
Blogger Sherry said...

Great quotes here...two excellent viewpoints.

12:06 PM  
Blogger Ello - Ellen Oh said...

Look at these beautiful children! I completely agree. My family always comes first, but they also know to let me have my writing time because they love me too!

8:01 PM  
Blogger Sustenance Scout said...

I agree, Sherry!

Ello, Sounds like you've got a good plan in place. I blog a lot when the kids are home playing, but do most of my creative writing when they're in school and I'm fairly sure I'll have a chunk of time without interruptions. The computer is like the phone around here: a kid magnet! (A case in point: my youngest just showed up in the study to "visit"...and read over my shoulder.) :) K.

p.s. I think they're pretty cute, too!

8:02 AM  
Blogger Leigh Russell said...

Hi Karen, I write crime thrillers, so not specifically social comment, but it's in all my books. My concerns about the society in which youngsters are growing up these days is always in there, because it's something I feel strongly about. Other social concerns are dealt with as well, although none of them are the main focus of my writing. Writing is now the passion of my life - second only to my family. (I only started to write when my children grew up and left home.)
Please visit my blog any time. Comments from fellow writers are always partiularly welcome.

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home