Thursday, April 05, 2007

Beyond FACTS: Advice for Aspiring Writers

Lulu.com has just released the print version of From Hollywood Experts and Published Authors: Words of Wisdom for Starving Artists, a collection that includes two of my essays. Available in e-format for download at only $7.99 and now in a print version (which I’m looking forward to adding to my bookshelf!) for $15.99, this book “opens with copyright information from Lincoln D. Bandlow, an attorney specializing in intellectual property law in Century City and the out-going President of the Los Angeles Copyright Society.” It also features writings by “a personal manager for Hollywood actors, a Hollywood teacher and movie extra, a Fictionwise eBook Author of the Year, an owner/co-owner of two websites listed among the Writer’s Digest 101 Best Websites for Writers, a retired university professor,” and other authors, including moi. Talk about diversity!

While my advice isn’t the result of years in the industry, it does reflect my experiences getting the word out (the title of one of my essays) regarding my first book to local book clubs and working fact into fiction. I love researching topics for my short stories and novels and get a kick out of incorporating favorite details into my fiction. As I continue to query agents in hopes of someday seeing my first book reprinted with a larger publisher (though Pearl Street Publishing will always remain near and dear to my heart), I’m also trying to pick up the pace of my reading—and this title is now at the top of my list. While I’m very familiar with two essays in this book, I’m looking forward to reading the rest. Enjoy!

2 Comments:

Blogger Patry Francis said...

It's almost 2 a.m. and I really need to go to bed, but after reading this, I think I need to check out R.W.'s Website first. Thanks for always illuminating me--even if it keeps me up at night!

11:36 PM  
Blogger Sustenance Scout said...

My pleasure, Patry! K.

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home