Saturday, February 17, 2007

Beyond FACTS: A LONG WAY GONE: MEMOIRS OF A BOY SOLDIER by Ishmael Beah

Many thanks to Matt at Empathy for his current post on Ishmael Beah’s book, A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier. Beah served as a child soldier in Sierre Leone for almost three years. His story sounds fascinating as well as distressing. Since I’m up to my ears in laundry and house-cleaning today, I’m going to let Matt do the talking on this one. Consider this line: “Did you know that more than 250,000 children are currently serving as child soldiers?” I didn’t.

5 Comments:

Blogger Patry Francis said...

I'm so glad Starbuck's chose this book. It deserves to be read and contemplated.

10:31 PM  
Blogger Sustenance Scout said...

Good point, Patry. I forgot to mention this was a Starbuck's pick. K.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Matthew May said...

Thanks for the link to my site, and for pushing this great book along :)

Thank GOD for Starbucks - literally. lol

7:08 AM  
Blogger Sustenance Scout said...

Funny, Matt! :)

8:12 AM  
Blogger gerry rosser said...

I heard an interview with this author on NPR (or was it PRI?) while driving back from Las Vegas. He is an activist, and seemed to have overcome (outwardly anyway) the trauma of his child sodiering (and all the other terrible things that happened). Any country which is contemplating having children be soldiers should just go out of business immediately, it has no reason to exist.

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home