Friday, July 25, 2008

Beyond FAREWELL: Evan Kamida (July 30, 2000-July 24, 2008)

My heart’s breaking for Vicki Forman, her husband, and their daughter, Josie. Somehow Evan is gone. Sweet Evan, pictured with Vicki in my post from the other day. Sweet Evan, whose love of swinging at the park is captured so eloquently in one of his mom’s earliest Literary Mama columns, “The Mother at the Swings.” I am that mother at the swings. I don’t have a child with special needs but I have children, and I’m fascinated by the many ways women of all situations cope with what life delivers, or drops, or detonates.

Sweet Evan, who was seven like my youngest, and who would’ve turned eight next week.

Thanks to Jennifer and Kristina for making me aware, in so many ways. Both these ladies have noted on their blogs how donations may be made in Evan’s memory.

Blessings to Vicki for all she does, and all she’s going through.

8 Comments:

Blogger Mary Ann said...

"The Mother at the Swings" blows me away. I've just been sitting here thinking about the woman who could write something like that. My heart goes out to her. Thank you for making me aware.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Sustenance Scout said...

Oh I know, Mary Ann, Vicki's amazing, isn't she. I learned of that essay Thursday night while tooling around Jennifer Graf Groneberg's blog, Pinwheels. I read it and knew I'd blog about it, but it was so late I put it off until Friday. I'm still in shock at the turn that post took. K.

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is nothing one can say to a parent who has lost a child.

6:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a wonderful tribute to Evan, Vicki and their family.

6:22 PM  
Blogger Sustenance Scout said...

Gerry, Thanks as always for stopping by.

Amy, so nice to "meet" you. You've reminded me to add a note: Vicki and her husband are planning a project, possibly planting a tree near the swings in the park where Evan played, in memory of their son. Anyone interested can go to Vicki's site (http://www.vickiforman.com/) for more details. K.

7:09 PM  
Blogger Carleen Brice said...

My heart goes out to all the family!

12:34 PM  
Blogger debra said...

I am also the mother at the swings.
There are few words..... lots of feelings. I am a mother.

7:51 PM  
Blogger Sustenance Scout said...

Carleen, always good to hear from you! I know you'll love to see the Flickr pool I mention in my newest post; lots of sunflowers and other beautiful bursts of color for Evan.

Debra, I know exactly what you mean. Hugs from Denver, K.

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home