Monday, June 19, 2006

Beyond FAMILY: Loving Day

I missed Loving Day! One week ago on June 12 was the anniversary of the 1967 passing of Loving vs. Virginia, a ruling that finally made it illegal to restrict interracial couples from marrying. Please note that my biracial husband’s courageous parents married three years before that. Also note that my children would not exist if their grandparents hadn’t been brave enough to ignore public opinion and follow their hearts into what was then such an unconventional marriage.

For a comprehensive look at the history of judicial decisions leading up to Loving vs. Virginia, as well as an interactive map of the changing laws, personal stories of interracial couples, the campaign to establish Loving Day as an annual day of celebration, and resources on interracial issues, check out the Loving Day page of the stellar Mavin Foundation site.

It’s actually appropriate for me to write this post on June 19 since it’s my mother’s birthday and it’s also the day after Father’s Day this year. Both my parents were wonderfully generous and welcoming to my husband when he drove from Connecticut to upstate New York 17 years ago to ask for their permission to marry me. (Yes, he really did that!) My parents personify the spirit of unconditional love that has allowed so many to embrace the challenges of marrying and raising a family across cultural or racial boundaries. I love them both beyond words.

Happy Birthday, Mom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home